This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e up of similar cell types. Organs are usually made up of multiple tissues.
• Main categories of tissues:
• Epithelial: Tissues that surround the outside of the body and line internal cavities. Includes skin, glands,
• Connective: Cells are arranged in a matrix of secreted material. Includes bone, cartilage, blood.
• Muscle tissue: Cells contain specialized contractile fibers. Includes striated (voluntary) muscle, smooth
(involuntary) muscle, cardiac muscle.
• As they study animal systems, students sometimes have an underlying belief that animals can “choose” to
carry out various physiological functions, and may make statements such as,...
View Full Document