There are two types of drafting scales used in design

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ed in elementary school. There are two types of drafting scales used in design and construction: 1. Engineer, or civil, scales, such as 1˝ = 10´ or 1˝ = 50´, are used for measuring roads, water mains, and topographical features. The distance relationships also may be shown as 1:10 or 1:50. 2. Architect scales, such as 1/4˝ = 1´-0˝ (1/48 size) or 1/8˝ = 1 ´-0˝ (1/96 size), are used for structures and buildings. They are used to measure interior and exterior dimensions such as rooms, walls, doors, windows, and fire protection system details. • The scale marked “16” is a standard ruler. • You must learn to read both from left to right, and right to left. Note in the example below, the numbers on the 1/8-inch scale increase from left to right. The numbers on the 1/4-inch scale increase from right to left. • Note that the “0” point on an architect scale is not at the extreme end of the measuring line. The numbers “below” the “0” represent fractions of one foot. Other scale tools include flat scales and rolling scales. Rolling scales have the advantage of being able to measure travel di...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 02/26/2014 for the course ES 302 at Western Oregon University.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online