Unformatted text preview: rs of Metabolism!
- Metabolic diversity greater among prokaryotes than
among all eukaryotes combined.
- Can use almost anything as source of energy and carbon
eukaryotes inherited some of these characteristics from the prokaryotes - Basic chemistry for photosynthesis, cellular respiration and
fermentation originated in bacteria & archae lineages.
- Evolved variations on these processes. Sources of Energy (for ATP production)
1. Phototrophs - light 2. Organotrophs - large organic molecules stored in bonds with high potential energy
3. Lithotrophs - inorganic molecules with high potential energy (i.e. NH3, H2S, CH4, H2) Sources of Carbon (for synthesis of organic compounds)
1. Autotrophs - synthesize own high potential energy, organic compounds from simple starting materials
ie. CO2, CH4 2. Heterotrophs - use organic compounds with high potential energy produced by other organisms = 6 general methods for obtaining ATP and carbon (metabolism) Explains ecologica...
View Full Document