Unformatted text preview: l range
Ex. Hydrothermal vent communities Bioremediation
= use of organisms to remove pollutants from water, soil and air.
- bacteria and archae used to degrade organic pollutants
Ex. treat sewage, clean up oil spills etc. Reproduction and Evolution
- Reproduce only asexually by fission. - Mutation = major source of genetic variation.
- Fast generation times adapt/evolve rapidly. Bacteria And Disease
Only a tiny fraction of bacteria are pathogenic (disease causing) - Few archae known to cause human disease.
- How many bacterial species are “Pathogenic”?
- Which tissues do they tend to affect? bacteria tend to infect openings to the body
- Cause about half of all human diseases.
- tuberculosis, pneumonia, cholera, bubonic plague,
diphtheria, typhoid, dysentery, tetanus, many STDs, etc.
- Robert Koch developed “germ theory of disease”
= infectious diseases caused by microorganisms
- Foundation for...
View Full Document