Unformatted text preview: ? archae and bacteria * Fundamentally different in key structural, biochemical,
- External cell wall
bacteria include peptidoglycan
- Plasma membrane
archae unique phospholipids (contain isoprene)
archae associated with histones
- DNA/RNA polymerases, ribosomes etc. distinct in
bacteria How Do They Stack Up Compared With Other Forms of
Age - bacteria = earliest organisms
- around/successful > 3.5 billion years
- Eukaryotes & Archae appear ~ 1.75 billion years ago.
Abundance - dominant life forms on planet in terms of total
volume & biomass.
Diversity - 10s of millions species exist.
- virtually all unnamed & undescribed.
Range - most widespread organisms; found almost
the metabolic diversity allow them to be
- Some “extremophiles”
extremophiles Morphological Diversity in Bacteria
- Shapes: filaments, spheres, rods, chains, spirals.
- Movement: some glide or swim with long
tail(s) – Flagella
- Cell wall composition: Metabolic Diversity
View Full Document