This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: and religious animosity • Nuclear weapons on both sides Disputed Kashmir
Disputed Kashmir Regional and Internal Conflicts:
Regional and Internal Conflicts:
• Korean Peninsula – North Korea – 4th largest army
– Nuclear weapons
– Six power talks • China and Taiwan – Increased trade
– “one government, two systems”
– China’s military modernization North Korea’s North Korea’s Nuclear Ambitions ChineseTaiwan Tensions ChineseTaiwan Tensions PRC fires Missiles during 1996 Elections to intimidate pro
independence forces Collective Security Failures
Collective Security Failures
• Dissolution of Yugoslavia – UN intervention in Bosnia fails – USled NATO forces bring peace (1995)
– NATO intervention in Kosovo (1999) • Somalia – U.S.led humanitarian force ends in disaster (crossing the Mogadishu line) Yugoslavia – before and after
Yugoslavia – before and after An Ethnic Map of Yugoslavia
An Ethnic Map of Yugoslavia Somalia – the “failed state”
Somalia – the “failed sta...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course IR 271 taught by Professor Corgan during the Fall '08 term at BU.
- Fall '08