Unformatted text preview: e in wealth (Growth in Chinese per Capita wealth; Shanghai Skyline 2006) But there is a Problem of Standards But there is a Problem of Standards in developing countries And deindustrialization in And deindustrialization in developed ones
(Source: Birmingham News, 2007) Forms of Protectionism
Forms of Protectionism
• Domestic level – Tariffs (eg. SmootHawley 1936)
– Quotas (often tacit)
– NTBs (Non tariff Barriers) – eg. ‘health’ or ‘safety’ standards • International Level – Formation of Trading Blocs IR Theory and International Trade
IR Theory and International Trade
• Neoliberals – trade is always good
• Realists – trade must serve state’s interest
• SocialProtectionist – trade must be subordinated to social wellbeing • Constructivists – trade reflects discourse on StateMarket relations Trade – Neoliberal Position
Trade – Neoliberal Position
(dominant current thinking)
• All states that have grown engage i...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course IR 271 taught by Professor Corgan during the Fall '08 term at BU.
- Fall '08