This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: DP goes to aid
• Much given for strategic reasons • Often ignores the root causes
• Often tied to liberal ‘market’ approach – may not work – may be harmful for infant economies Liberal Modernization Theory
Liberal Modernization Theory
• One pattern of development for all
• LDCs develop only by shedding their traditional institutions • Fundamental obstacle traditional culture
• “Trade is the engine of growth” Stages of Development
Stages of Development
gatherer Society Rule Industrial Tribal Subsistence Market Agricultural Agri
Town Tribal Chief Feudal lord Monarch Democracy City (Note: these ideas can be found in Aristotle, ca 400BCE) Modernization Theory
• Social/cultural Impact – demographic transition to urbanization
– urbanization essential – city becomes the focus of new ideas
•science and technologies
•social mobility Modernization in means moving Modernization in means moving from here … .. to here
.. to here Critiques of Modernization
Critiques of Modernization
• Traditional institutions difficult to change
• Theory is Eurocentric
• Current IPE favors developed states Political Development
• Focus on institutions
• Lack of consensus: which system is developed?
• How to measure democratization? – Elections for higher office
– Rule of Law
– Civil liberties (press, association, protection from state repression) Political Development Problems
Political Development Problems
• “Regime Change” violates s...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course IR 271 taught by Professor Corgan during the Fall '08 term at BU.
- Fall '08