This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: rce: WHO, 2002 Cooperation Efforts
– Commercial treaties
– International Organizations
• Example: UN Environmental Program
– NGOs • Examples: Sierra Club, WWF, – Celebrities and corporations • Example: Live Earth Concert Remedies for the Environment?
Remedies for the Environment?
•Convince LDCs to slow development? •Economic incentives to reduce deforestation and pollution “trade and cap” •Develop longterm perspective Water Scarcity
• Growing populations
• Access to safe water source of conflict
• Sanitation and price of clean water – Nearly two in three people in developing countries do not have access to clean water – The price of water has risen globally
– Is potable water a ‘public good?’ Source: German Environmental Agency, 2007 Water and Conflict
Water and Conflict
– Competing claims may lead to war – Increase in the number of transboundary basins – Water critical to agriculture, industry, health – Middle East locus of many conflicts over water Middle East – Severe Water Middle East – Severe Water Scarcities emerging Water Access – Cooperation Efforts
Water Access – Cooperation Efforts
– UN conferences on water since 1977
– 1980s declared the “International Drinking Water and Sanitation Decade”
– The UN Millennium Declaration
– NGOs and international organizations Turkey –Iraq Syria
Turkey –Iraq Syria
• Tigris and Euphrates •
• originate in South West Turkish Highlands
Euphrates runs through Syria to Iraq
Turkey seeks to develop this underdeveloped region by building dams
Alarm on the part of Iraq and Syria; tension between Iraq and Syria
Joint water management projects underway as of 20062008 Food
– Distribution is the biggest problem
– 800 million people suffer malnutrition
– Poverty, disease, poor transportation, war all restrict access to food supplies
– Natural disasters, droughts or human actions cause famines Source: World Food program, 2006 International Food Aid and Famine...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course IR 271 taught by Professor Corgan during the Fall '08 term at BU.
- Fall '08