This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: acy depends on
– freedom to participate which depends on free thought and speech which depends on
freedom of individuals XXth Century: Failed challenges to XXth Century: Failed challenges to free market liberal democratic state
• Fascism fails
– Fascist societies are based on the capability of a people to dominate others (by war)
– Democracies ultimately proved better at making war XXth Century: Failed challenges to XXth Century: Failed challenges to free market liberal democratic state
• Communism fails
– Communism organizes the society around economic production
– Free market societies were far more successful economically: they provided more goods to more people New Challenges
• Religion? – Not incompatible with a free market democracy (most religions condone slavery) • Nationalism – Will eventually be assimilated Implications for Global Economy
Implications for Global Economy
• Free trade will prevail Implications for w...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course IR 271 taught by Professor Corgan during the Fall '08 term at BU.
- Fall '08