Unformatted text preview: l
decomposition show they are being responsible)
Waste reduction and on-site
processing on the rise.
Now considered part of the cost of
This attitude of accountability (and
responsibility for one’s own ethical
conduct) is commonly termed “Due
Diligence.” Adopted by more and
more mining companies as well.
13 8 Hazardous Waste Management
Deep well injection of
Hazardous waste (e.g. using
spent oil wells)
• Pump waste into isolated porous
rock, seal it in at top with concrete
• Problems of leakage and water
• Rock itself may be uniformly
permeable, but what about joint
fractures, faults, or dissolution
cavities (similar issues in case of
nuclear waste disposal (features
that increase permeability are bad!)
• How geologically stable is the
disposal site (can it be ensured that
it is tectonically inactive)? - old oil traps: sealed from surface
- leeckage: rock porus not as permeable…get fractures,
faults, holes (limestone)
- basic knowledge is important
- place is also tectonically active and moving 14 Hazardous waste manageme...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/25/2014.
- Fall '14