This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: also
be used as fuel
(another example of
using waste as a
9 - problem in landﬁlls, it is ﬂammable, leek into ground
water, end up in ground water supplies (hazardous!)
- also greenhouse gas (worse then carbon dioxide!)
- eliminate: collect methane, use as resource, sell 3 7 Municipal Waste Disposal: Examples of Attenuation - reduce bulk, (small space, do it more) CONS: burning Incineration
• Pros: reduce volume of solid
waste that must be disposed
• Cons: requires energy ($)
and can contribute to air
pollution consumes energy and monayyyy, ash and contain toxic materi - no pros dude…get rid of garbage but CONS: pollutes Ocean Dumping
• Pros: Are there any?
Cons: pollution of many
different forms! aquatic area, organic matter high demand of oxy in lakes
so bad for aquat. ecos The big problem with garbage: Nobody wants it! (the
10 The Famous Mobro trash barge
On March 22, 1987, the Mobro 4000 left
Islip, New York, with a 3,168 ton of New
York City garbage headed to Morehead
City, North Carolina (for a pilot project
involving methane production)
North Carolina officials refused to take the
garbage (on suspicion that it contained
toxic components) - no one wants garbage: barge from Queens to North C
- "are there any hazardous materials?" "don...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/25/2014.
- Fall '14