Unformatted text preview: city’s housing sat vacant. The outbreak of World War II provided a great economic opportunity. Like Los Angeles,
Colorado Springs soon became dependent on military spending. The opening of Camp Carson and Peterson Army Air Base brought thousands of troops to the area, along with a direct capital investment of $30 million and an annual payroll of twice that amount. After the war,
Colorado Springs gained a series of new military bases, thanks to its strategic location (midcontinent, beyond the range of Soviet bombers),
its fine weather, and the friendships formed between local businessmen and air force officers at the Broadmoor. In 1951, the Air Defense
Command moved to the city, eventually becoming the North American Aerospace Command, with its outpost deep within Cheyenne
Mountain. Three years later, 18,000 acres north of town were chosen as the site of the new Air Force Academy. The number of army and air
force personnel stationed in Colorado Springs subsequently grew to be larger than the city’s entire population before World War II.
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course MGMT 120 taught by Professor Litt during the Spring '08 term at UCLA.
- Spring '08