This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: mitted to the hospital on Christmas Eve, suffered terrible pain, had three heart attacks, and died in her mother’s arms on
December 28, 1992. She was six years old.
The Jack in the Box outbreak received a great deal of attention from the media, alerting the public to the dangers of E. coli 0157:H7. The
Jack in the Box chain almost went out of business amid all the bad publicity. But this was not the first outbreak of E. coli 0157:H7 linked to
fast food hamburgers. In 1982 dozens of children were sickened by contaminated hamburgers sold at McDonald’s restaurants in Oregon and
Michigan. McDonald’s quietly cooperated with investigators from the CDC, providing ground beef samples that were tainted with E. coli
0157:H7 — samples that for the first time linked the pathogen to serious illnesses. In public, however, the McDonald’s Corporation denied
that its hamburgers had made anyone sick. A spokesman for the chain acknowledged only “the possibility of a statistical association between
a small number of dia...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course MGMT 120 taught by Professor Litt during the Spring '08 term at UCLA.
- Spring '08