This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: was not a success. In 1937 they opened a drive-in restaurant in Pasadena, trying to cash in on the new craze, hiring three carhops
and selling mainly hot dogs. A few years later they moved to a larger building on E Street in San Bernardino and opened the McDonald
Brothers Burger Bar Drive-In. The new restaurant was located near a high school, employed twenty carhops, and promptly made the brothers
rich. Richard and “Mac” McDonald bought one of the largest houses in San Bernardino, a hillside mansion with a tennis court and a pool.
By the end of the 1940s the McDonald brothers had grown dissatisfied with the drive-in business. They were tired of constantly looking for
new carhops and short-order cooks — who were in great demand — as the old ones left for higher-paying jobs elsewhere. They were tired of
replacing the dishes, glassware, and silverware their teenage customers constantly broke or ripped off. And they were tired of their teenage
customers. The brothers thought about sell...
View Full Document
- Spring '08