This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: d Growth
LRAS and Growth Vertical need not mean fixed LRAS can shift right
– P Population Capital stock
Technology Real GDP rises Prices fall – Good deflation
– AD can also shift right LRAS LRAS P0 P1 AD
y0 y1 y Short Run Aggregate Supply
Short Run Aggregate Supply “Sticky “ wages and prices – Contracts
– Menu costs P
AS AS slopes up – Price rises
– Value of labor rises
– If w fixed then L rises
– y rises as a result y What Causes a Recession?
What Causes a Recession? Assume we start at y0 – In LR equilibrium
– Investment falls P LRAS What happens to AD? y0 y The Onset of a Recession
The Onset of a Recession AD shifts right – Also happens if C, G, or NX falls GDP falls P AD LRAS AD’ AS – y1 < yfe Prices fall as well
y1 yfe=y0 y What Cures a Recession?
What Cures a Recession? GDP falls – Fewer workers hired Unemployment rises P LRAS AD AS AD’ AS’ – Wages fall AS shifts out – Firms hire more
– yfe restored y1 y0 y Why Bother Intervening?
Why Bother Intervening? The adjustment process may be slow – We may have y < yfe for a long time “In the long run, we’re all dead” Did Obama’s Stimulus “Fail”?
Did Obama’s Stimulus “Fail”? What is “failure”? – Unemployment has only recently fallen below 8%
– Congress is unwilling to spend more The problem was bad numbers – In early 2009, things looked very bad BEA estimated that GDP fell at an annual rate of 3.8% in 2008.IV Designed massive stimulus in response – It turns out things were even worse Revised figures show GDP shrank 8.9% in 2008.IV Massive wasn’t massive enough Perceived Problem
P AD AS y Investment Collapses & GDP Investment Collapses & GDP Falls
AD P AS AD’ Q Increasing G Should Restore Increasing G Should Restore GDP
AD P AS AD’ Q But the Drop Was Much Greater
But the Drop Was Much Greater
AD P AS AD’ Q The Response Was Inadequate
The Response Was Inadequate
P AD AS AD’ Q The Result
The Result The economy avoided Armageddon Things were still bad People are now calling for spending cuts What will that do?...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/25/2014 for the course BUSINESS 2101 taught by Professor Gerst during the Spring '12 term at Temple.
- Spring '12