This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: herium Grazers
Browsers What is a species (comes from latin for
What “kind” or “appearance”)?
“kind” Carolus Linnaeus, a Swedish physician and botanist
• Used physical characteristics to distinguish species
• Developed the binomial (two part) system of naming
• Humans are Homo sapiens meaning “wise being”
Linnaeus’ system established the basis for taxonomy in
the 18th century- he named over 11,000 species in this
• The branch of biology concerned with naming and
classifying the diverse forms of life
classifying Similarities between some species and
variation within a species
• Can make defining species difficult Eastern vs Western
Downy vs Hairy Woodpecker Biological Species Concept described in 1942 by
A group of populations whose members
have the potential to interbreed in nature and produce
fertile offspring (who themselves can reproduce)....
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/26/2014 for the course ENG 102 at Maryland.
- Spring '12