safety-in-academic-chemistry-laboratories-students

Alternatively if you have been certified by a

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: mals who inhaled this substance. Do not breathe air containing vapors, dust, or mist from this substance. Use only in a laboratory hood. Alternatively, if you have been certified by a physician to use a respirator and have been trained in its proper use and maintenance, you may use a respirator known to be appropriate for this substance. 17 students short index 1/15/03 12:45 PM Page 18 (May be) fatal if swallowed Will cause death if a sufficient quantity is swallowed. For some very toxic chemicals, less than a gram is a sufficient quantity. Handle with extreme care. Wash your hands thoroughly, and clean under your fingernails before leaving the laboratory. If swallowed or if swallowing is suspected, call a physician immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless directed to by a physician. Flammable Gives off vapors that readily ignite under usual working conditions. Keep the container closed when not in use. Since the vapors are invisible and will travel several feet, keep these liquids and solids several feet (or the recommended distance) away from heat, sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition. Harmful if inhaled Has harmed test animals exposed to this substance in the air they breathed. Avoid breathing air containing this substance. Harmful if swallowed Can cause serious discomfort, nausea, fainting, or other harm if swallowed. Handle with care. Wash your hands thoroughly before leaving the laboratory. If swallowed or if swallowing is suspected, call a physician. Do not induce vomiting unless directed to by a physician. Irritant Has an irritant effect on skin, eyes, respiratory tract, etc. Do not breathe vapors, dust, or mist and avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame Vapors can explode and/or burn. Keep the container closed. Eliminate all sources of ignition that are within a radius of several feet before using or handling this chemical. Lachrymator Has an irritant or burning effect on the eyes and is dangerous in very small quantities (merel...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 02/27/2014 for the course PHYS 1B at UCSD.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online