safety-in-academic-chemistry-laboratories-students

Chlorine also is a strong oxidizing agent only if you

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: fluorine. It is too reactive to use as a reagent in a teaching laboratory. Chlorine also is a strong oxidizing agent; only if you have received special instructions should you work with chlorine. Bromine is a corrosive volatile liquid that causes serious burns on skin contact. It is a lachrymator. Use it only in a laboratory hood. Mercury. Spilled mercury evaporates, filling the air with toxic vapors. Mercury vapor is a cumulative poison. If spilled, mercury will roll when it hits a hard surface, usually breaking into droplets, some of which are too tiny to be seen. Even visible droplets can adhere to smooth vertical surfaces; therefore, cleanup must be thorough. Spilled mercury should be immediately and thoroughly cleaned up using an aspirator bulb or a special vacuum device. Do not use an ordinary vacuum cleaner; mercury vapor passes through the paper or cloth bag. Such redispersed mercury vapor or aerosol droplets would spread the vapor contamination further. Call your instructor for help; a mercury clean-up unit is necessary to properly clean up the spill. Mercury spilled into floor cracks can be made nonvolatile by amalgamation with zinc dust or finely powdered tin—that is, if you could ever be sure that the particles of metal will penetrate far enough into narrow cracks to reach the very tiny mercury droplets. Strong bases. These substances are all corrosive and can cause serious, destructive chemical burns, including blindness. Strong bases are insidious; even a concentrated solution of a strong base often causes no pain until the corrosive damage is quite severe. Although correctly classified as “dilute,” saturated solutions of strong bases, such as Ca(OH)2, also are extremely corrosive. Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a colorless, water-soluble, pungent, and irritating gas. It is typically available as “formalin,” an aqueous solution of formaldehyde at concentrations varying from 37 to 56% and often also containing up to 15% methanol. Formaldehyde is also sold in a polymer...
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online