Inhalation of formaldehyde vapors from formalin or

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ic form called “paraformaldehyde.” Paraformaldehyde decomposes into the monomer on heating. Inhalation of formaldehyde vapors from formalin or paraformaldehyde can result in severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract and lead to edema. Do not breathe formaldehyde vapors; they are suspected to be carcinogenic and are 23 students short index 1/15/03 12:45 PM Page 24 a severe eye irritant, causing delayed effects that are not appreciably eased by eye washing. Skin sensitization can result from repeated exposure to liquid solutions. Because repeated exposure to formaldehyde solutions can lead to a formaldehyde allergy, avoid skin contact with solutions by wearing neoprene, butyl rubber, or polyvinyl chloride gloves. Note that these gloves can resist permeation of formaldehyde for only a limited time. Formaldehyde should be used and handled only in a designated laboratory hood. Cyanides and nitriles. Cyanides and nitriles are rapidly acting toxic substances. Overexposures can be fatal. Symptoms of toxicity occur if these materials are swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. A few inhalations of hydrogen cyanide can cause mental deterioration; a few more can be fatal. Some metal cyanides are hydrolyzed in aqueous solution and form hydrogen cyanide; all are converted to hydrogen cyanide in the presence of acid. Before you work with cyanides, make sure that amyl nitrite pearls are on hand as a first aid antidote. Also be sure that your instructor knows the name of a physician who can treat overexposures to cyanide and can administer sodium nitrite and sodium thiosulfate solutions, as appropriate. Organic Peroxides and Peroxide Formers Organic peroxides are a special class of compounds that pose unusual stability problems. These peroxides are among the most dangerous chemicals normally handled in chemical laboratories and manufacturing. As a class, organic peroxides are lowpower explosives. They are hazardous because of their extreme sensitivity to shock, sparks, heat, or other forms of accidental explosive initiation. Many peroxides that are routinely...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 02/27/2014 for the course PHYS 1B at UCSD.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online