safety-in-academic-chemistry-laboratories-students

Since the vapors are invisible and will travel

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: contact lenses are worn, remove them while flushing. Combustible Gives off vapors that can ignite under usual working conditions. Keep the container closed. Since the vapors are invisible and will travel several feet, keep these liquids and solids several feet away from heat, sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition. Corrosive Contact destroys living tissue as well as equipment. Wear safety goggles. Do not breathe vapors and avoid contact with your skin, eyes, and clothing. Use other protective equipment, such as a face shield, as appropriate. Danger Can have serious harmful effects (e.g., loss of a limb or digit, loss of sight, loss of life) if precautions are not taken. Follow the precautions described in the MSDS and on the label. Handle with extreme care. Do not get in eyes Can cause irritation or even blindness if it gets in the eyes. Wear both safety goggles and a face shield. If the chemical gets in your eyes, immediately flush your eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while others call a physician. If contact lenses are worn, remove them while flushing. Do not get on skin Can cause harm by damaging skin and/or by penetrating intact skin. Before using, put on clean gloves made of material known to be impervious to this chemical for at least several minutes. Remember that no glove material is impervious to a chemical for long periods. If this chemical does get on your skin, wash it off immediately. Explosive Known to explode under some conditions. Handle with care. Avoid impact shock (hitting or dropping), friction, sparks, flames, and heat. Extremely flammable Gives off vapors that very readily ignite under usual working conditions. Keep the container closed when not in use. Since the vapors are invisible and will travel several feet, keep these liquids and solids several feet (or the recommended distance) away from heat, sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition. (May be) fatal if inhaled Has caused the death of 50% or more of a population of test ani...
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online