This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: diagram above to the
diagram in the previous slide!
15 Control system design objective
To design a controller s.t. the output follows
the reference in a “satisfactory” manner
even in the face of disturbances.
16 Goals of this course Systematic controller design process
Reference Controller Actuator To learn basics of feedback control systems
Output Input Plant Sensor
4. Implemenation 1. Modeling Controller Mathematical model
3. Design 2. Analysis Modeling as a transfer function and a block diagram
• Laplace transform (Mathematics!)
• Mechanical, electrical, electromechanical systems
• Step response, frequency response
• Stability: Routh-Hurwitz criterion, (Nyquist criterion)
• Root locus technique, frequency response technique,
PID control, lead/lag compensator
Theory, (simulation with Matlab), practice in laboratories
Matlab), 17 18 Course roadmap
Modeling Analysis Laplace transform
Models for systems
Linearization Time response
• Steady state
• Bode plot
Nyquist) Summary & Exercises
Examples of control systems
Open loop and closed loop (feedback) control
Automatic control is a lot of fun!
Automatic Design specs
Frequency domain Next
Laplace PID & Lead-lag
Exercises Design examples Buy the course textbook at the Bookstore.
Read Chapter 1 and 2.
Read (Matlab simulations &) laboratories
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- Mechanical Engineering