F13 lecture 24(2)

Iden6fying genes their regulatory regions and

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: cm generally) that binds some reagents and lets other reagents flow over it, modifying the bound reagents •  Flowing reagents can then be washed off and a new reac6on cycle can occur –  Don’t worry about ABI Solid squencing – too complicated •  One or more ques6ons on the final exam will be from content in this video accuracy ma1ers •  sequencing errors look like rare muta6ons •  in a large dataset, many rare single nucleo6de variants are not real SNPs –  “singletons” •  need repeat sequencing (oien with Sanger) to confirm Genomic Annota6on • The first task postsequencing in any genome project is annota6on. Iden6fying genes, their regulatory regions and transcripts. • Essen6ally, this is iden6fica6on of the func6onal units of the genome. • This can be done empirically (ESTs) or using computer algorithms. Varia6on in Genomes • Human beings are, for example 99.9% gene6cally iden6cal. • The remaining 0.1% corresponds to ~ 3 million base pairs. • Muta6ons are rare – the majority of differences are from polymorphisms, alleles, segrega6ng in the popula6on. Varia6on in Genomes • 95% of varia6on is in the form of Single nucleo6de polymorphisms (SNPs). • The vast majority of SNPs have no effect. A rare few have overt phenotypic effect, some others act addi6vely influencing disease suscep6bility or drug response. • The remaining 5% are simple sequence repeats – “microsatelites”. Varia6on in Genomes • A map of the BRCA1 gene from humans showing all known SNPs • muta6ons in this gene, and another gene BRCA2, are associated with a higher than average risk of breast cancer • Studies using yeast indicate that BRCA1 and 2 are involved in DNA break repair. cDNA Microarrays • PCR amplified cDNA (ESTs) are spo1ed at high density (10- 50 spots per mm2) on a glass slide. • Current arrays include ~10,000 ESTs. • Differen6ally Labeled cDNA from treatment groups is then hybridized to the plate. • The color of the spots indicates the group in which that transcript is expressed. • The intensity of the signal at a given spot reflects the amount of that transcript in the sample(s). Cell type 1 - red label Cell type 2 - green label Yellow = bo...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 02/27/2014.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online