This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ge Mason University’s growing reputation as an
innovative educational leader is rooted in Virginia’s
strong educational tradition. By emphasizing the needs
of its region, Mason has created a curriculum and mission to meet the needs of Northern Virginia’s extraordinary cosmopolitan constituency.
The university began as the Northern Virginia branch
of the University of Virginia in 1957, offering courses
in engineering and the liberal arts. Called University
College, it opened in a renovated elementary school in
Bailey’s Crossroads with an enrollment of 17 students. Eager to support the ﬂedgling institution, the Town
(now City) of Fairfax purchased 150 acres in 1958 and
donated it to the University of Virginia for a permanent
branch campus. The following year, the University of
Virginia Board of Visitors selected the name George
Mason College. Construction of the campus’ ﬁrst
four buildings was completed in 1964. In September
of that year, 356 students began their studies in the new
In March 1966, the Virginia General Assembly authorized the expansion...
View Full Document