This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ion error
Incorrect dilution amount Administration of drug that is too concentrated
Injection of medication at a rate that is too fast or too slow
Use of wrong port or IV line
Patient drug allergy The problem with vanco….
Hoefel, H. (2008). Vancomycin administration: mistakes made by nursing staff. Nursing Standard, 22 (39), 3542. Mixed PO medications
Mixed PO medications Mixed Medications…hmmm
– acetaminophen with codeine
– Each 5 ml contains
120mg acetaminophen 12 mg codeine Mixed IV medications
Mixed IV medications Unasyn: – A combined antemicrobial
agent (ampicillin and sulbactam)
– Special reconstitution per.
– Final concentration for dosage
calculation is based on Ampicillin
component. Complex drug vials
2yearold who weighs
25 pounds needs Unasyn
450 mg IV q6h. Pounds to kilos
2. Safe dose range
3. Use ampicillin component
4. Reconstitute powder into liquid
5. Draw up correct amount
6. Dilute so that it does not exceed final max concentration of 30mg ampicillin/ml
7. Calculate IV rate to run over 1530 min
1. Routes: Oral
Routes: Oral Oral meds: – Draw up in ORAL syringe with NO needle
– Place syringe along side of infant’s tongue and give slowly allowing baby to swallow. Practice Exercise
4. Look up Amoxicillin in dosage handbook.
What is the safe dose range for a 4.5kg 2
In what form (suspension, tablet, chewtab) is the oral drug available?
Describe how you will draw up and administer the medicine. Pediatric Problems with Pediatric Problems with Oral Meds Child refuses
Child spits it out
Child vomits med
Pill that can’t be scored
Oral med that tastes terrible Routes: IM
Routes: IM IM: – Newborn to toddler: use the vastus lateralis
– Older: use the deltoid
– No need to aspirate No Need to Aspirate
No Need to Aspirate CDC General Recommendations on Immunization. www.immunize.org (February 2009) Use a needle long enough to reach
deep into the muscle.
Insert needle at a 90°...
View Full Document
- Fall '11