Unformatted text preview: T
SILENT Pulmonary vein Partial Pressures of O2 and CO2 A = Alveolar Pressure
a = Arterial Pressure
V = Venous Pressure Partial Pressures of O2 and CO2
• PAO2 partial pressure of O2 in the alveoli
• PaO2 partial pressure of O2 in the arteries
• PvO2 partial pressure of O2 in the venous system • Arteries 75100mmHg normal Partial Pressures of O2 and CO2
• PACO2 partial pressure of CO2 in the alveoli
• PaCO2 partial pressure of CO2 in the arteries
• PvCO2 partial pressure of CO2 in the venous system • 3 ways to transport CO2: dissolved, attached to H2O Factors Influencing Diffusion of Factors Influencing Diffusion of Gas • Thickness (inflamm process: thicker, CF, smoking, tumor) • Amount of surface area (scarring, tumors, black lung) • Solubility of Gas CO (Monoxide): extremely soluble, high Hb affinity takes O2’s place booo
CO2 is 20x more soluble than O2 • Pressure difference of gases
(high to low concentration CO2 and O2) Gas Transport • Oxygen transport – 98.5% oxygen is on Hg, 3% in plasma • Carbon dioxide transport – 10% Dissolved, 30% carried by Hb, 60% in blood as bicarbonate • Oxyhemoglobin dissociation c...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/05/2014 for the course NURS 115 at Liberty University Duplicate.
- Spring '12