This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: port (bad)
• If lose surfactant, lung collapses • Alveolar Sacs and Alveolus http://www.ivyrose.co.uk/Topics/Respiratory/Aveolar_500w.jpg Lung Blood Supply
Lung Blood Supply
• The lung has a dual blood supply
– Pulmonary supply
• venous blood, Deoxygenated , pick up system
– Bronchial supply
• arterial blood, drop off system Inspiration and Expiration
Inspiration and Expiration
• Inspiration – active process – Diaphragm contracts and lowers (vacuum!) Decrease
inside the • Expiration – passive process
• Diaphragm – If broken, you don’t breath (Christ Reeves)
www.biology.eku.edu/RITCHISO/3... Exchange and Transport of Gases
Exchange and Transport of Gases • YOU NEED:
• Ventilation (lungs that work: getting gases in) – Pulmonary: gas exchange between outside and lungs
– Alveolar: gas exchange btwn alveoli and vessels • Perfusion (Heart that works: getting gas to rest of body) – Supply blood to gas exchange units (alveoli) Ventilation and Perfusion
• V/Q Ratio – Ratio of ventilation to perfusion – expresses the ef...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/05/2014 for the course NURS 115 at Liberty University Duplicate.
- Spring '12