This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: twork file BUSI 335 Copyright © 2009-10 Y.M. Cheung, William Tan and Carson Woo – integrates different types of DBMS’s over a
network (vendors have yet to fully achieve this) 11 BUSI 335 Copyright © 2009-10 Y.M. Cheung, William Tan and Carson Woo 12 Horizontal Fragmentation
Fragmentation Data Fragmentation
Data Fragmentation • Example: Customers table may contain • Strategies for partitioning a database thousands
thousands of records – each fragment is stored on one or more computers
– a central distributed data catalog tells the application
where to find the data it needs – Fragment #1: Canadian customers
– Fragment #2: Mexican customers
#2 • Horizontal fragmentation
– division of tables into sets of rows
– each fragment has unique rows which have the same
attributes (columns) • Vertical fragmentation
– division of tables into sets of columns
– each fragment has unique columns except the prim...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/04/2014 for the course COMM 335 at UBC.
- Spring '12