Bull riveting driving rivets by squeezing them with a

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: lwark ----The ship's side above the weather deck. Bull Riveting ----Driving rivets by squeezing them with a high powered air or hydraulic machine. Butt ----The joint formed when two parts are placed edge to edge. Buttock ----A distance from centerline; The intersection of the moulded surface with a vertical plane at a given distance from the centerline of the ship. Buttocks are shown in the profile in the lines drawing. Shipfitters use a buttock merely as a distance from the centerline. Thus, they have buttocks marked on bulkheads, decks, foundations, etc., for setting and alignment. The buttocks and the waterlines which are marked on the steel members for regulating and setting are usually of some dimension expressed in even feet. That is, they would mark the 10'0" W. L. (waterline ) and the 24'0" Btk. (buttock) rather than a 10'7" W.L. or a 23'6" Btk. Butt Strap ----A small plate used to connect the two parts of a butt joint by overlapping each; a splice piece. Butterworth (™) Gun ----Butterworth is the name of a company that manufactures automatic tank wash machines. The machines can be hose mounted or permanent. The water flowing through the machine causes the wash nozzles to turn.. Butterworth Hatch ---- An opening on the deck of a vessel opened when cleaning or ventilating the tanks. May be round or square, secured by bolts or dogs. Button ----A cast or fabricated deck item, usually round, that is used to thread cables between vessels when they are made-up. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 6 © C.G.Daley (pay) with the pitch and there may not be enough pitch. Caulker ----One who caulks. A single button. Ceiling Wood ----Sheathing on the tank top, sides of ship, and bulkheads; used to protect cargo. Center Keelson ----(See vertical keel). Button cluster. Center Line ----The middle line of the ship, extending from stem to stern . A straight line running from bow to stern, midway between the sides of the ship. All transverse horizontal dimensions are taken from the center line. The center line as applied to a transverse bulkhead is a vertical line in the middle of the ship. Chafing Plate ----A bent plate used in minimizing chafing of ropes, as at hatches. C Chain Locker ----A compartment in the forward portion of ship in which anchor chain is stowed. Camber ----The athwartship rise or crown of a deck. The curvature of the deck transversely. It is measured by the difference in height between the deck at center and the deck at side. Chain Pipe ----A pipe for passage of anchor chain from deck to chain locker. Cant Frame ----A frame which is not square to the keel line. Capstan ----A revolving drum, with vertical axis, used for heaving in lines. Cargo ----The freight carried by a ship. Cargo Battens ----Strips of wood used to keep cargo away from the steel hull. Cargo Boom ----A heavy boom used in handling cargo. Cargo Hatch ----A large opening in a deck which permits the loading of cargo into holds. Cargo Port ----An opening in a ship's side used in loading and unloading cargo. Casing Bulkheads ----Walls enclosing portion of vessel, as the boiler room casing. Also a covering for parts of machinery. Caulk ----To make a joint watertight. The old saying 'the devil to pay and a half bucket of pitch' referred to a very big joint to be caulked Chain Riveting ----Two or more rows of rivets spaces so that the rivets in one row are opposite those in an adjacent row. Chain Stopper ----A device which prevents anchor chain from running out. It is moved into position after the anchor has been dropped. Chamfer ----To cut off the sharp edge of a 90o corner. To trim to an acute angle. Channel Iron ----A steel shape commonly used in vessel construction. Chart Room ----A small room adjacent to the Pilot House in which charts and navigating instruments are located. Chock ----A heavy fitting through which ropes or hawsers may be led. A saddle or seat of wood or metal. Chock-Boat ----A cradle or support for a lifeboat. Chock-Roller ----A chock with a sheave to prevent chafing of ropes. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 7 © C.G.Daley Cleat ----A fitting having two arms or horns around which ropes may be made fast. Also called a kevel. A clip on the frames of a ship used to hold cargo battens in place. Clinching Pan ----A flat plate for clinching nails. (Used in the mold loft.) Coaming ----The vertical boundary of a hatch or skylight. Cofferdam ----A narrow vacant space between two bulkheads. A double watertight bulkhead. Collar ----A flanged band or ring. A welded plate used to close a frame or beam penetration through plating. Collision Bulkhead ----The watertight bulkhead nearest the bow of a ship; forepeak bulkhead. Companionway ----A covered stairway leading downward from an open deck. A series of steps leading from the deck to a cabin or saloon below; also, the space occupied by these steps. Counter ----Overhang of the stern of a ship. Countersink ----To taper a hole for a flush rivet or bolt. Cowl ----The hood-...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online