Oxter plate bent shell plate which fits around upper

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ard ----Outside; over the side of a ship, into the water. Overhang ----That portion of the hull which is over and unsupported by the water. Oxter Plate ----Bent shell plate which fits around upper part of stern post; also called tuck plate. P Packing ----Material which is placed between plates or shapes to make them watertight; wooden blocks and wedges which support a ship on sliding ways; spacers. Pad Eye ----An eye located on deck which is used for fastening cables or on the hull for hanging tires or an attachment for hanging a block and fall for lifting the propeller or rudder. Painter applying a coating to a vessel hull. Palm ----Flattened top portion of rudder stock (for bolted connection). Also, a flat surface at the end of a strut or stanchion. Panama chock ----A steel casting used for line handling - from one vessel to another vessel or to the dock. Developed for use in the Panama canal (?). Panting ----An in-and-out movement of plating; to pulsate or throb. Panting may be caused by the lift and fall of a ship in a seaway, or by engine vibration. Parallel Middle Body ---- The straight part at the center of the ship where the water lines and buttocks have no curvature; that is, where all the fore and aft lines are parallel. Peak ----A narrow compartment at either end of a vessel. Pillar ----A vertical member or column which provides support to a deck girder. (Also termed a stanchion.) Pilot House ----An enclosed place in which the main steering wheel, controls, engine room, telegraph, etc., are located. A wheel house. This pad eye is just forward of the rudder, and would be used to hold a chain fall when the crew are working on the propeller. In this picture, the vessel is on dry-dock, and we are looking up at the bottom of the hull. Painting a vessel hull ----Vessels must be removed from the water to apply coatings. This Pintle ----A pin on which a rudder hinges. Pitch ----Spacing; as of rivets or gear teeth. Planking ----Wood covering for decks, etc. Plating ----The plates of a hull, a deck, a bulkhead, etc. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 16 © C.G.Daley Propeller ----A rotating device which drives a ship through the water. Also see cyclodial propulsion system Propeller Post ----The forward post of stern frame, which is bored for propeller shaft. A stack of plates that will be used for side shell replacement, frames, brackets, etc.... These plates have been sandblasted and coated to reduce corrosion inside the vessel once they are installed. Plimsoll Mark ----A mark placed on the ship's side to indicate maximum allowable draft. Pontoon Hatch Cover ----A steel box-shaped member sometimes used in place of hatch beams to close in a cargo hatch. Poop ----The after, upper portion of the hull, often containing the steering gear. Poop Deck ----The first deck above the shelter deck at after end of a vessel. Port ----A harbor; or opening in the side of a ship. The left hand side of a ship (looking toward the bow.) Originally called larboard. Porthole ----A circular opening in the ship's side such as a window (see airport). Press break ----A hydraulic or mechanical device for bending and shaping steel plate. In shipyards the plate is usually shaped cold. Plates bent in a press may be refered to as 'shaped' or 'flanged' plate. Profile ----A side elevation of a ship's form. A view looking at the moulded lines from starboard to port. The waterlines and the frame lines are straight when observed from this direction. The deck line, or "sheer" curve (Figure 4) shows up clearly in the profile, which for this reason is sometimes called the sheer plan. Propeller Shaft ----Rotating bar by means of which the engine turns the propeller. Q Quarters ----Living or sleeping rooms. R Rabbet ----A depression or offset designed to take some other adjoining part; as for example, the rabbet in the stem to take the shell plating. Rail ----The upper rounded edge of the bulwarks. Railway ----An inclined slope fitted with railroad track. A carriage is lowered down the track into the water, the vessel is floated over the carriage and both are brought up the slope until the vessel is drawn out of the water. Requires a very stout winch to pull the carriage up the slope. Rake ----Slope aft of a mast, kingpost or stack. Reaming ----Enlarging a rivet hole by means of a revolving, cylindrical, slightly tapered tool with cutting edges running along its sides. Reverse Frame ----An angle bar or other shape riveted to the inner edge of a transverse frame as reinforcement. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 17 © C.G.Daley Ribband ----A fore and aft steel strip or heavy batten which is used to temporarily align the transverse frames after erection. Rigging ----Ropes, wire ropes, lashings, masts, booms, etc.; also, the handling and placing on board the ship of heavy weights and machinery. Rivet ----A short round metal connection used to fasten two or more members together by clinching after being heated red hot. Roll ----To impart curvature...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online