{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Stem forging casting or plating forming extreme bow of

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: tealer ----A plate extending into an adjoining strake as at the end of a drop strake. Steering Gear ----Apparatus for controlling the rudder. Stem ----Forging, casting, or plating forming extreme bow of ship and extending from keel to forecastle deck. Step ----To set in place (as applied to a mast); also, a socket for the end of a must; a support for the fixed or "hinged" end of a boom. Stern ----The after or back end of a vessel. Stern Frame ----A large casting or forging attached to the after end of a hull to form the ship's stern. It includes rudder post, propeller post, and aperture for the propeller. Stern Tube ----A long bushing or bearing through the stern to support the end of a propeller shaft. Stop Water ----Canvas and red lead, or other material, fitted between two metal parts to make a watertight joint. Stowage ----A support or fastening for any gear, as, anchor or boat stowage. Strake ----A fore and aft course, or row, of shell or other plating Stringer ----A fore and aft member used to give longitudinal strength. Depending on location, these are called hold stringers, bilge stringers, side stringers, etc. Stringer Deck ----The strake of deck plating which contacts the shell. Stringer Plate ----A deck plate at the outboard edge of deck connected to the shell of a ship with an angle or a welded joint. Strong Back ----A supporting girder for a hatch cover; a rig used in straightening bent plates; a bar for locking cargo ports. Strut ----A support for a propeller tail shaft (used on ships with more than one propeller). Super structure ----Deck houses, etc., which are located above shelter deck. Swash Plate ----A baffle plate in a tank which prevents excessive surging of a liquid. Syncrolift (TM) ----A platform fitted with winches and anchor chain. The winches lower the platform into the water, the vessel is floated on and the platform is raised. Sometimes the vessel can be rolled to a repair station on railroad track. Propeller on a river towboat. This one has 4 blades and is designed for power rather than speed. 4 blade propellers have less vibration than 2 or 3 blade propellers, benefiting the crew. Stiffener ----An angle bar, T-bar, channel, etc., used to stiffen plating of a bulkhead or other member. Stool ----A support for a propeller shaft bearing in the shaft alley. A foundation, etc. T Tail Shaft ----A short section of a propeller shaft extending through the stern tube and carrying the propeller. Tank barge ----A vessel designed for carrying usually- liquid cargo. Often has an engine and a pump to assist in transferring cargo, but does not have main propulsion equipment. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 20 © C.G.Daley Tank Top ----The plating over the double bottom. reference to the way the blades are mounted under the hull, and the way they turn. Tankerman ----The official USCG classification of the person that supervises the transfer of cargo between vessels or vessel and shore. There are different grades of expertise A, B, C, D and LFG - relating to the degree of hazard in relation to fire. Transom ----The main frame at the rudder stock (cant frames usually radiate from the transom frame). The very last (most aft) plate on a welded vessel. Tee-bar ----A structural shape with cross section resembling the letter T. Template ----A mold or pattern. Sometimes made of plywood or paper. Thrust Bearing ----A bearing or block to resist end thrust. A bearing on propeller line shaft which relieves the engine from the driving force of the propeller. Thwart ----A seat in a lifeboat. Something that runs transverse. Tiller ----An arm, attached to rudder head, which operates the rudder. Tow Boat ----A vessel generally used on inland rivers to push barges. Tow Knee ----On a tow boat (so named because they push a bunch of barges called a 'tow') there are almost always 2 vertical supports for the barges to rest on. These are called tow knees and they have stairs built in for the crew to get to the barges. Transverse ----Athwartships; at right angles to the keel. Transverse Frames ----Athwartship members forming the ship's "ribs." Also see Buck frame. These are the ribs or frames of the ship, and when placed in position, give the principal shape or contour, Transverses are not all the same distance apart; amidships, where there is the greatest strain, they are spaced more closely. The transverses are cut or notched where they connect on the shell, to allow the longitudinals to pass through. They are strengthened by clips at these points. Travelift (TM) ----A device for lifting vessels out of the water. Has rubber tires and slings. The slings are lowered in the water, the vessel is floated in and lifted out of the water with cable winches. Once raised, the vessel can be moved to a station, blocked, etc. and the Travelift can return to the slip to move another vessel. Trim ----To shift ballast; to cause a ship to change its position in the water; drag. Trunk ----A small casing passing through a deck, such as is used for ladders or ventilation. Tug Boat ----A relatively small vessel with a big engine used to 1/ assist ships...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online