Usually a slip is dug in the shore a vessel is

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: arrangement for getting vessels out of the water so that bottom work can be done. Usually a slip is dug in the shore, a vessel is floated in, a wall is placed across the open end of the slip and the water is pumped out of the 'tank'. Often used for very heavy objects. Grommet ----A soft ring used under a nut or bolt head to maintain water tightness. Ground Ways ----Timbers secured to the ground, under the hull on each side of the keel, on which a ship is launched. Gudgeons ----Bosses on stern post drilled for pins (Pintles) on which rudder swings. Gunwale ----The junction of deck and shell at top of sheer strake. Gunwale Bar ----Angle iron which connects stringer plate and shell plates. (Riveted work) H Hatch ----An opening in a deck for passage of cargo, etc. Hatch Battens ----Flat bars which are wedged against hatch coamings to secure tarpaulins. Hatch Beam ----A portable beam used to support wooden hatch covers. Hawse Pipe ----Casting, or castings, through deck and side of ship at bow for passage of anchor chain. Hawser ----A large rope used in towing or mooring. Headlog ----The bow plate on a vessel that is made of thick steel plate. Heeling ----The inclination of a vessel to one side. Hogging ----Straining of the ship which tends to make the bow and stern lower than the middle portion. Hold ----The inside of a hull; cargo space. Hold Beams ----Structural members placed in a hold, similar to deck beams, but having no plating or planking on them. Holder-On ----One who "backs up" or "holds on" the head of a rivet while the point is being "driven", or upset. Horn ----To line or square-up; also, part of a cleat. Hull ----The body of a ship, including shell plating, framing, decks, bulkheads. Gyro-Compass ----A mechanical compass operated by means of a gyroscope. This compass indicated true north rather than magnetic north. Gyro-Repeater ----An apparatus to show the reading of the gyro compass at a distance from the main gyroscope equipment. I I-Beam ----A structural shape with cross section resembling the letter I. Inboard ----Inside the ship; toward or nearer the center line. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 12 © C.G.Daley Inboard Profile ----A drawing of the longitudinal section at center line of ship. Inert Gas ----A gas such as carbon dioxide or nitrogen that is used to make an oxygen deficient atmosphere. Inerted tanks are useful for preserving cargo integrity and reducing the explosive potential of cargo tanks. Inerted ----Implies that a tank is filled with an inert gas. Innage ---- A measurement of liquid cargo in a tank. It is the distance from the top of the cargo to the bottom of the tank. It is the opposite of ullage. Inner Bottom ----Plating forming the upper surface of the double bottom. Also called tank top. Inner Shell ----A plated surface or "shell" inside the outer shell plating, used as additional protection in case of collision or other accidents. The space between the inner and outer shells is often used as a storage space for liquid ballast or cargo. K Keel ----The principal fore and aft member of a ship's frame. The keel runs along the bottom, connecting the stem and stern, and to it are attached the frames of the ship. Keel-blocks ----Heavy blocks which support the keel of the ship during construction. Keel, Flat ----The bottom shell strake on centerline of ship. Keelson, Side ----Fore and aft member placed on either side of, and similar to, the vertical keel. Keel, Vertical ----Vertical plate used as reinforcement for keel, often called centerkeelson. Kevel ----A deck fitting used to secure a line or a cable to a vessel Inserted Packing Red lead ----soaked canvas strips placed between connections that cannot be caulked successfully; stop waters. Intercostal ----Made in separate parts; between frames, beams, etc., the opposite of continuous. (Floors are continuous; longitudinal girders are intercostal in most cargo vessels.) Isherwood System ----A system of building ships in which the main framing is longitudinal or fore and aft, instead of transverse as in ordinary ships. J Jack Staff ----A flag staff at the bow of a ship. Jetsam ----Items that are thrown overboard from a vessel in distress. Discarded cargo that washes ashore. Joggle ----An abrupt bend or offset in a plate, bar, or frame to eliminate the use of liners. Kevel King Post ----A stub mast, outboard from center line, used to carry cargo booms; kingposts also serve as ventilators. Knot ----A tie in a line (for instance a square knot). A nautical mile. (About one and oneseventh statute miles.) Knuckle Plate ----A plate bent to form a knuckle. A nuckle is a rounded corner usually found on the bottom of a vessel. It is believed that if a vessel contacts the river bank, a vessel with rounded 'nuckle' plates can be dislodged easier than one that has sharp corners. E6002 – Ship Terms & Definitions p. 13 © C.G.Daley Launching ----The operation of placing a hull in the water by allowing it...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online