001 medium surges occur at rate 1 per day and will

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: + tN ? Thinning and conditioning 2.6. EXERCISES 97 2.42. Tra c on Snyder Hill Road in Ithaca, NY, follows a Poisson process with rate 2/3’s of a vehicle per minute. 10% of the vehicles are trucks, the other 90% are cars. (a) What is the probability at least one truck passes in a hour? (b) Given that 10 trucks have passed by in an hour, what is the expected number of vehicles that have passed by. (c) Given that 50 vehicles have passed by in a hour, what is the probability there were exactly 5 trucks and 45 cars. 2.43. Rock concert tickets are sold at a ticket counter. Females and males arrive at times of independent Poisson processes with rates 30 and 20 customers per hour. (a) What is the probability the first three customers are female? (b) If exactly 2 customers arrived in the first five minutes, what is the probability both arrived in the first three minutes. (c) Suppose that customers regardless of sex buy 1 ticket with probability 1/2, two tickets with probability 2/5, and three tic...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 03/06/2014 for the course MATH 4740 at Cornell University (Engineering School).

Ask a homework question - tutors are online