Unformatted text preview: oalkane and not the nucleophile.
– The result is a first-order reaction. 13 Kinetics Organic Lecture Series • For SN2
– Reaction occurs in one step.
– The reaction leading to the transition state involves
the haloalkane and the nucleophile.
– The result is a second-order reaction; first order in
haloalkane and first order in nucleophile. 14 Organic
Organic Lecture Series Stereochemistry
• For an SN1 reaction at a chiral center, the R and
S enantiomers are formed in equal amounts,
and the product is a racemic mixture. 15 Organic Lecture Series Stereochemistry
• For SN1 reactions at a chiral center
– examples of complete racemization have
been observed, but
– partial racemization...
View Full Document
- Fall '08
- Kinetics, Organic Lecture Series