Unformatted text preview: tography © 2007 Why Do We Get Sick?
Proximate Reasons (Pathophysiology) examples…
• Hypertension is due to an increase in vascular resistance
• Sickle cell anemia is due to mutation in hemoglobin gene
• Cerebral palsy is due to asphyxia during birth
• Cystic fibrosis is due to mutation in chloride channel gene not our focus for this lecture not what causes disease but what makes us susceptible
to disease Ultimate Reasons (Evolutionary Medicine)
Why has evolution left our bodies vulnerable to disease?
1. Selection is about fitness, not health
2. Constraints and trade-offs are inevitable
3. Human evolution is too slow to cope with challenges
4. Our evolved defenses may be harmful or seem harmful evolution can only modify existing trait Evolution is Too
Slow to Cope
has been rapid … the environment didn't change much for the first few thousands years of our existence.
However, environment started to change drastically the last 10,000 years. … but human evolution
has been slow.
all babies have the ability to digest lactose (they have lactase), but 70% of
adult population were d...
View Full Document