Unformatted text preview: n gradients
2. Membrane selectively permeable to K+
due to open K+ channels (
3. K+ diffuses outward, down concentration
4. Since Na+ and Cl- cannot move to
compensate, inside becomes negative
5. K+ diffuses inward, down its electrical
6. System comes to equilibrium when flux
of K+ out = flux of K+ in
7. Na+ and Cl- are not in equilibrium
8. Electrochemical gradients (especially for
Na+) represent stored potential energy.
9. Under condition 6, Vm =
zF ion channel are name after the thing that control the pore (where the ion go).
1. ion channel is always gated, but sometimes that gate is always open, in that case, that ion channel is called leakage channel b/c channel is open and ions leaking through. (K+ is responsible for
2. if channel have functional gate, then ion channel is called gated-ion channel, name after the thing that control the gating. like voltage, temperature, or binding of ligand (which we're focusing).
for a sodium channel on the right, the left...
View Full Document
- Spring '09
- ICF, adenylyl cyclase, Ion channel