This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: s.
• Extraordinarily late age of marriage. Mangaia of Polynesia
• Adolescent boys are given sexual
instruction and an experience with a
woman in the village.
• Practically every girl and boy has had
intercourse before marriage.
• Female frigidity, male celibacy, and
homosexuality are practically unknown. Homosexuality and Culture
• Adolescent boys in Sambia (Highland New
Guinea) have homosexual relations as part of
initiation but enter heterosexual marriages as
• In the United States, consistent
heterosexuality is considered essential to
masculine identity (think about Spectrum
panel and reading on Brazilian hip hop) Note: we will discuss Gebusi gender and
sexuality next week, after the film - when
you go to read that material, please keep an
open mind and remember that as
anthroplogists, we seek to understand why
people in different societies do the things
they do, even if their behaviors and
practices are very different from our own Beauty Academy of Kabul
• An ethnographic film by Liz Mermin
• Looks at a group of American
hairdressers who go to Afghanistan and
open the first post-Taliban beauty
• A development projected funded in part
by beauty industry names such as
Vogue, Clairol and M.A.C. For next time
• Will watch Beauty Academy of Kabul
(NOTE: this is available through Netflix,
but I don’t know of a link watch the full
movie free online - if you cannot or
choose not to come to class to watch
the film, do your research)...
View Full Document
- Spring '07