Unformatted text preview: tions?
28. What legislation has been passed specifically to protect investors who use investment banks directly or indirectly to purchase securities? Give some examples of
the types of abuses for which protection is provided.
29. How do regulations regarding barriers to entry and the scope of permitted activities affect the charter value of financial institutions?
30. What reasons have been given for the growth of pension funds and investment
companies at the expense of “traditional” banks and insurance companies? sau86198_ch01.qxd 4/21/02 8:52 PM Page 23 Chapter 1 Why Are Financial Intermediaries Special? 23 31. What are some of the methods banking organizations have employed to reduce the
net regulatory burden? What has been the effect on profitability?
32. What characteristics of financial products are necessary for financial markets to
become efficient alternatives to financial intermediaries? Can you give some examples of the commoditization of products which were previously the sole property of financial instit...
View Full Document
- Spring '09
- Accounting, Financial services, FIS, Depository Institutions