Unformatted text preview: What is a community and how do we quantify
2. How do communities change over time?
3. Food chains and top-down vs. bottom-up
4. What stabilizes communities?
5. What is an ecosystem?
6. How do we measure energy flow through an
7. How do we measure energy flow through an
4 2 Food chains and top-down vs. bottom-up control How do we
strength of trophic
interactions? Food chains and top-down vs. bottom-up control
How do we quantify the strength of trophic interactions?
mice Lyme disease
infected ticks Deer Gypsy
moths Leaves Acorns (Red oak) can perform addition/removal experiments
to determine apex predator, lesser predators, and
the importance of each creature 3 it’s not possible to use a food web manipulation to reduce gypsy
moth populations and lyme disease at the same time UNLESS…
you want to destroy the food web by removing the red oak.
View Full Document
- Fall '12
- Ecology, trophic level, food chains, -Bob Paine, strong top-down interactions