Unformatted text preview: ethodology and developed criteria for inferring the processes we cannot
see from the results that have been preserved
● Species arose through a special creation and had not changed since
● The Earth is not very old (John Lightfoot estimated it’s creation at 9am on 23 Oct 4004 BC)
● Linneaus and Cuvier
● Lamark and Hutton
Evolution by natural selection in 3 parts:
● The principle of variation
○ There is variation in morphological, physiological, and behavioral traits among members
of a species.
● Principle of Heredity
○ The variation is in part heritable, so individuals resemble their relatives more than they
resemble unrelated individuals, and, in particular, offspring resemble their parents.
● Principle of Differential Fitness
○ Different variants leave different numbers of offspring either in immediate or in remote
Science of who is related to whom:
● Phylogenetics- science of describing relationships between organisms and processes behind
● Taxonomy- Science of naming and formally classifying groups of organisms.
● Evolutionary lineages
Ways to Make Phylogenetic Tr...
View Full Document