This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: of grassland environments ● ● ● ● ■ reduction in global forest cover
■ North America and Europe separate
○ El Fayum, Egypt: 30-
40 mya this was a lush forest (aegyptopithecus)
5.3 mya, warmer and cools off, oscillations of temperatures in 6 mya
○ temperature warmer in early part, tropical forest in middle latitudes
16 mya global temperature cools (woodlands, bushlands, and savannahs spread)
○ Africa connected to Eurasia and animals migrated both ways
○ the age of the apes
○ middle of Miocene: climate shift-
apes diversity narrows, monkey diversity increases (20
○ by the end of this epoch, the ancestors of humans had split away from the ancestors of
the chimpanzees to follow their own evolutionary path
○ mixture of Old World monkey and ape characteristics, before split of apes and Old
○ lack of tail like apes
Hominid (i.e Hominidae): A taxonomic Family represents a group of genera that have a similar
type of adaptive regime. The hominids represent large bipedal apes with an emphasis on pair
○ What does “genus” represent within the Hominidae?
■ A genus represents a group of species within a Family that exploit more specific
grades within that adaptive regime.
○ Hominidae: all members of the human family tree since split with chimps
Terms to keep in mind
○ sexual dimorphism: phenotypic difference between males and females of the same
species. Ex: differ...
View Full Document