This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ences in morphology, size,ornamentation and behavior.
○ canine dimorphism: honing canine-
large canines cut food. Upper canines are sharpened
against the lower third premolar.
○ bipedality: organism moves by means of its two rear limbs, or legs
walking: gorillas and chimps
○ arboreality: locomotion of animals in trees, terrestriality: living on ground
○ palmigrade: putting whole foot on ground while walking
○ divergent big toe: ○
○ frugivore vs omnivore: fruit eater vs plants
○ LCA=last common ancestor
○ OW = Old World (Africa, Europe & Asia)
○ Relative brain size (i.e., brain size relative to body size)
● Characteristics of Hominid Genera
○ GLCA: Gorilla LCA ● ●
● ● ○ CLCA: Pan troglodytes, Pan paniscus: Chimp LCA: palmigrade, arboreal, dimorphic
canines, forest frugivore
○ Ardipithecus: bipedal, climbs in trees, feminized canines, lives in woodland, omnivore
○ Australopithecus: terrestrial standing biped, wide niche, pan Africa, large teeth
○ Homo: found across OW, technologically reliant, large brain, small teeth
The genera you need to remember
○ Purgatorius: precursor to Plesiadapiformes (earliest primates)
○ Aegyptopithecus: predates divergence between hominids (apes) and early Oligocene
○ Proconsul: genus of primates during Miocene, one of the first primates classified as ape
○ Ardipithecus: 6-
5.4 mya, opposable big toe, bi...
View Full Document