This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: risk of Alzheimer’s, don’t know
when/what kind Theoretical Basis for Restriction of Genetic Information
● Autonomy: giving person autonomy for his/her own decisions
1. Unlimited Availability
2. Controlled Access
3. Withholding the sequence: have a committee to take control of deciding who gets access to the
HeLa genes;7 a one-
off resolution i.
But could bring problems: no consensus on how these cell line/genes will be published
Respect for Autonomy in Genetic Counseling
● Origins: promote certain phenotypes – eugenics;7 get rid of unwanted genes (Nazis killing,
Americans sterilizing, etc.)
● Genetic counseling founded in opposition to that
● Counselor can never make decisions based on marriage/children/important personal matters
○ Provider: provides information, guides patient through decision
○ Patient: determines what’s important, then makes a decision
Complications for Disclosure & Non-
Disclosure of Genetic Information
● Genetic counseling – individual has right to know/not know abou...
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- The American