This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: of Life: individuals vary
4. Offspring tend to look like their parents (kids inherit this variation)
Conclusion- “Survival of the Fittest”
● Darwin said that the natural variation in the population was selected on by the environment to
● Change over time is caused by differential reproductive success.
Fitness: reproductive success
Individual fitness: success in promoting survival of one’s own genes;7 measured relative to other
● Strategies of Increasing fitness: Maximizing production of offspring (like frogs) ● Maximize care of a few offspring (like monkeys)
● Reproductive success is NOT how many times you participate in mating behavior!
● Alfred Russell Wallace (1823-
1913): same idea as darwin
On the Origin of Species- Charles Darwin
● Darwin’s three main contributions:
○ Collected evidence to document the occurrence of evolution
○ Provided a natural mechanism for evolution (that natural selection is the creative force
○ Established a m...
View Full Document