This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e described objects as (triangle) meshes
• Triangle meshes are piecewise linear object representations
• Easy to rasterize/“put on the screen”
• Maps nicely to graphics pipeline
• What about other representation techniques?
• Disconnect rendering from object representation?
• Vector graphics? ECS 175 Chapter 3: Object Representation 42 General Object Representations
• Three ways to represent curves and surfaces
• Explicit y = f ( x)
• Implicit f (x, y ) = 0
• Parametric f (u) = (x(u), y (u), z (u))
ECS 175 Chapter 3: Object Representation 43 General Object Representations
• Explicit representation y = f ( x) Independent variable defines value of dependent variable ECS 175 Chapter 3: Object Representation 44 General Object Representations
• Implicit representation f (x, y ) = 0 Points in space can be tested
for membership In 2D these functions define curves, in 3D they define surfaces. ECS 175 Chapter 3: Object Representation 45 General Object Repr...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/12/2014 for the course ECS 175 at UC Davis.
- Spring '08