This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ts
• What happened when and where?
• Who did what to whom and how?
• How did Greek society work and what held
• Why did the Greeks act like they did?
• And why did things change? Achilles slays Penthesilae,
Black Figure Vase, c. 535 BCE Epinetron, 500-480 BCE Women working wool Amazons Potts … and Poets WHAT DO WE KNOW?
• Limited number of primary sources
• Literary sources reflect mainly the views of
their elite authors
• Archaeology, inscriptions, papyri can help to
reconstruct different views – and different
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/18/2014 for the course ANCH 026 at UPenn.
- Fall '07