This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ve, and through pity and fear it effects
katharsis [relief] to these and similar emotions.”
Aristotle, Poetics 1449b Sophocles, Antigone (441 BCE) OLD COMEDY
• Comedies were produced at
the Dionysia and the Lenaia
• During the fifth century, five
plays were performed at
each festival, later reduced to
• Choruses were larger than for
• Only 11 plays by Aristophanes
(447-385 BCE) are extant
Vase painting with a scene
from a comedy • Usually set in
• Everyone is
• Extremely rude
• Word plays OLD COMEDY THEATER AND DEMOCRACY
• Drama deals with the human drives and passions that
threaten order and society.
• Drama provides a medium to reflect on important
questions and values, to criticize and to mock – but
also creates a community
• Tragedy reflects on the human condition, comedy on
contemporary issues THEATER AND SOCIETY
“Wonders are many, and
none is more wonderful
Sophocles, Antigone 331...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/18/2014 for the course ANCH 026 at UPenn.
- Fall '07
- Antigone (The Oedipus Plays)