Unformatted text preview: pounds per square inch or psi (1 atmosphere = 14.7 pounds
per square inch),
– mm or inches of mercury (1 atmosphere = 760 mm or 29.92
inches of mercury)
– torrs (1 torr = the pressure exerted by 1 cm of mercury). • Low air density results in rising air and low surface
• High air density results in descending air and high
surface pressure. Heating and Cooling of
Air The Gas Law
• Ideal Gas follows kinetic molecular theory, made up of large
number of molecules that are in rapid random motion
following perfect elastic collitions losing no momentum
• How the Kinetic Molecular Theory Explains the Gas Laws
• The pressure of a gas results from collisions between the gas
particles and the walls of the container.
• Each time a gas particle hits the wall, it exerts a force on the
• An increase in the number of gas particles in the container
increases the frequency of collisions with the walls and therefore
the pressure of the gas.
• Avogadro's Hypothesis
• As the number of gas particles increa...
View Full Document
- Spring '10