Unformatted text preview: eic acid, an unsaturated fatty acid, can be converted to a saturated fatty acid by the reaction shown below. Is lino leic acid oxidized or reduced in this reaction? C18H32O2 + 2 H2 → C18H36O2 lino leic acid 2. The reaction of succinic acid provides energy for the ATP synthesis and is shown below: C4H6O4 → C4H4O4 + 2 H· succinic acid FAD + 2H· → FADH2 a) Is succinic acid oxidized or reduced? b) Is FAD oxidized or reduced? 12 Chemistry 51 Chapter 6 ACTIVITY SERIES OF METALS
· One t ype of redox reactions are single replacement reactions. In these react ions an act ive metal replace a less act ive metal.
· Activity series is a list ing of metallic elements in descending order of reactivit y. Hydrogen is also included in the series since it behaves similar to metals.
· Act ivit y series tables are available in textbooks and other sources.
· Elements listed higher will displace any elements listed below them. For example Na will displace any elements listed below it fro m one of its compounds. 2 Na (s) + MgCl2 (aq) ® 2 NaCl (aq) + Mg (s) Na (s) + AgCl (aq) ® NaCl (aq) + Ag (s)
· Elements listed lower will not displace any elements listed above them. For example Ag cannot displace any elements listed above it fro m one of its compounds. Ag (s) + CuCl2 (aq) ® No Reaction Ag (s) + HCl (aq) ® No Reaction Examples: Use activit y series to complete each reaction belo w. If no reaction occurs, write “No Reaction”. 1. Pb (s) + HCl (aq) ® 2. Zn (s) + MgCl2 (aq) ® 3. Ni (s) + CuCl2 (aq) ® 4. Mg (s) + AlCl3 (aq) ® 13 Chemistry 51 Chapter 6 LAW OF DEFINITE COMPOSITION
· In a pure compound, the elements are always present in the same definite proportion by mass. Two samples of NH3 were analyzed for composit ion: Sample 1 Sample 2 Mass of sample 1.840 g 2.000 g Mass of N 1.513 g 1.644 g Mass of H 0.327 g 0.356 g Calculating % N in each sample: Sample 1 % N = 1.513 g x 100 = 82.23% 1.840 g %N = 1.644 g x 100 = 82.20% 2.000 g Sample 2 · Based on this law, the mass of an element can be determined fro m its mass per...
View Full Document