Unformatted text preview: l muscles (from
medial vestibular nucleus)
– Or to distal muscles (from
lateral vestibular nucleus) proximal ---run contralaterally. • Distal – proximal rule applies
also here! 37 KNES 462 ©FK ‘08 Vestibular System - synopsis
• Vestibular fibers from otolith organs /
semicircular canals have high firing rate very
suitable for coding excitation / inhibition!
• mirror arrangement on both sides of the head
helps to sharpen the signal by providing redundancy.
• cranial nerve VIII projects to the vestibular
nucleus in the brainstem
– vestibular nucleus has specialized sub-regions
– receives input from opposite vn, from cerebellum,
visual and somatosensory system.
– Projects to spinal cord via medial and lateral pathways.
38 KNES 462 ©FK ‘08 4...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/19/2014 for the course KNES 462 at Maryland.
- Winter '13